The Top Extreme Weather Preparedness Resources for 2022
Preparing for Best & Worst Impacts of Extreme Weather in 2022
As the climate continues to change in 2022, extreme weather adds another layer of complexity to emergency preparedness. From record-breaking floods to stronger storms and drought, understanding the risks of extreme weather will help individuals and organizations better prepare for the potential for significant impact.
Steps for Preparing for Extreme Weather Events
1. Build an Emergency Plan: Creating an emergency plan is essential for protecting yourself and your family during an emergency. Identifying someone out of the area to be the point of contact, an evacuation plan and other essential measures can help you ride out any emergency event.
2. Stay Informed: Knowing when emergency situations can occur and what they mean is the first step to emergency preparedness. Look for early-warning systems and any emergency notifications such as emergency hotline numbers in your area. Staying informed of weather alerts, climate change initiatives and emergency protocols will help you adjust accordingly and prepare for any potential emergency situations.
3. Make a Emergency Kit: Building an emergency kit or “go-bag” is essential for emergency preparedness. Essential items may include a first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, water and food, maps, and other essential items.
4. Develop a Home Security System: Developing a secure home security system is essential to protect property during extreme weather events. Installing high-quality home security systems, motion detector lights and control systems can help you keep an eye on your property and protect your home and family from potential emergencies.
5. Protect Yourself & Family: Extreme weather can often lead to severe health issues or even death. Knowing how to provide first aid and the basics of CPR can help you protect yourself or a family member against the most serious of disasters.
Resources for Extreme Weather Preparedness
When it comes to emergency preparedness, there are a wealth of valuable resources available. From local emergency management offices, to comprehensive guides and websites focused on extreme weather preparedness, there are a range of outlets to help you prepare for extreme weather events.
- Ready.Gov: The official site of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, provides resources such as guidelines on how to build an emergency plan, and public safety tips.
- National Severe Storms Laboratory: An agency of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), this resource provides comprehensive advice on preparing for and responding to a variety of severe weather events.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC provides an expansive range of resources to prepare for and respond to extreme and hazardous weather. This includes tips for specific weather events, such as hurricanes, floods, and extreme heat.
- Extreme Weather Safety: A national not-for-profit organization that provides education and resources on extreme weather preparedness and disaster management, to help reduce the suffering and economic damage caused by extreme weather events.
- WeatherFit: A public-private partnership that educates and empowers people to be prepared for extreme weather events. They provide information on the latest weather forecasts, safety tips, and more.
Making use of the resources available, combined with a comprehensive preparedness plan can help you prepare and protect against the worst impacts of extreme weather events in 2022. Building awareness of extreme weather and taking proactive steps to protect your family, home, and business can make all the difference in the face of an emergency.
By using the resources available and adopting a comprehensive approach to emergency preparedness, you can be ready for anything in the coming year and beyond.