Sustainable Tourism: How to Minimize Your Environmental Impact While Traveling
Table of contents
Make Sustainable Tourism Realistic & Enjoyable with These Tips
With an increasing amount of people choosing to travel, tourism is becoming a more significant part of the global economy. However, with more people taking to the skies and choosing to explore new cultures and natural sites, the impact on the environment continues to grow. Sustainable tourism is the answer! It’s taking action to make sure that the environment is under little or no stress while enjoying the tourism industry no matter how much or how often people choose to travel.
While minimizing environmental impact is important for the future of our world, one cannot deny that traveling can be an enjoyable experience that most of us wouldn’t want to sacrifice. Therefore, this article will provide useful tips and tricks to help you travel in a sustainable way with no hang-ups.
Before You Pack Your Bags: Making Sustainable Choices
Making lifestyle changes as simple as altering what items you choose for your trip can act like a butterfly effect to producing a pleasant trip. Here are three tips to keep in mind to start your journey on the right foot:
- Choose quality over quantity. Getting clothes that are of a higher quality and known to last longer will not only save you money in the long-run, but will also make sure that you won’t unravel your clothing on your journey.
- Limit plastic. Establish a rule to avoid single-use plastic while traveling. It’s much better for the environment when you opt for reusable items like bottles, cups, containers, and cutlery.
- Share resources with your friends. When you are out on an outdoor adventure or sightseeing with friends and family, it is perfectly acceptable to share items like powerbanks, sunscreen, insect repellent, and sunscreen.
Choose Low-Carbon Methods of Transportation
Air travel is one of the main culprits in increasing one’s carbon footprint. While we understand that sometimes it is necessary to fly, it is best to opt for low-carbon methods of transportation like buses, trains, walking, or cycling when possible. Additionally, when flying is inevitable:
- Look for airlines and airports with ‘carbon offsets’ to lessen the damage of air travel.
- Book direct flights where only one plane will be taking off rather than having to wait for a transfer.
- Book tickets that help raise an airliner’s fuel efficiency.
- Research methods of transportation at your destination. Bikes, public transport, electric scooters, and walking are some great alternatives.
Choose Sustainable Accommodations
Choosing the right hotel is one of the most important choices when it comes to sustainable tourism. Pay attention to the amenities and practices of the place you are staying at. Here are three important factors to consider when searching for the perfect place to stay:
- Check if the hotel you choose uses energy-efficient means of doing their work and tasks. Ask around and do your research.
- Accommodations should use renewable electricity sources to power their lights and air conditioning units.
- Accommodations should also promote local economies by purchasing from local suppliers with organic or otherwise sustainable materials and products.
The main goal for sustainable tourism is to minimize environmental impacts as much as possible. This does not mean that one should forfeit the joy of traveling. The trick is to be aware of what your actions will mean for the environment and the people living there. Choose quality items and low-carbon means of transportation. Look for sustainable accommodations and practice conscious consumption. It’s just a matter of making conscious decisions that you know are the best for the environment and the destination you are visiting. With this in mind, travel should be something all of us can enjoy responsibly.